Sunday, August 21, 2011

Experts Did a Study

Let me expand a little further on this Hollywood Squares thing that has been mentioned previously… We have one counselor contestant, “Madeline”, who takes on a different camper contestant each day. The squares are filled with counselors or counselors dressed as characters. I wrote all that simply to list off some of the characters we have included. See below.

Dorothy of Oz fame, Monkey Man (pretty simple: a guy in a gorilla costume), someone impersonating one of the preachers who was up here with us, the Chiquita Banana lady, SPATA (this was a guy dressed as someone from 300), a silent fireman, Mario, Luigi, the Lion King (a lion costume with the Burger King guy’s head on top), and a Spider Monkey (Monkey Man wearing a Spiderman mask)… Not a bad lineup.

Yesterday was the day we were introduced to “Ish Convish Conductor.” Imagine Hanson’s “Mmm-Bop,” but in some mashup of Russian, German, and Hindi, and set to the tune of “Itsy-Bitsy Spider.” For those who were there, you remember. And now you will have this song stuck in your heads for the rest of the day. You’re welcome.

Yesterday, a couple of the girls began their quest of setting me up with one of the girl counselors. Yesterday, I discovered teenage girls have no off switch. I don’t intend that to sound mean; in fact, bless their hearts. These girls spoke to me at every opportunity and never spoke of anything other than their girl counselor target for me. So, Mom, I have a confession to make… Kidding. I will not announce true love via a post on here [NOTE: still uncomfortable with the term “blog”].

Looking ahead to today, those girls decided to write me a note from Girl Counselor. As one of my duties is daily mail call, I received my note while Girl Counselor was sitting across the table helping sort mail. It’s one thing when guys try to write like girls. It’s a whole ‘nother animal when girls try to write as other girls. I was sitting on about a 15% chance the note was real. I went with the odds. Within 10 minutes, one of the campers approached and admitted she wrote the note because she was “scared, and didn’t want me to think it was real.” Wimp. Bless your heart.

What else happened yesterday? Well, we filled up a few hundred water balloons. Some with soap. No pickle juice balloons this year. We used all of that in the Super Soakers. We made shields for the night games. These shields were supposed to be used to block a water balloon. We made the shields out of cardboard and Gorilla tape. We then charged kids points (the fake currency of choice) to buy the shields to protect themselves during our convoluted game of capture the flag. For the record, I am of the opinion that if you can’t get out of the way of a balloon, you can’t block said balloon with a cardboard shield. The suckers bought every one of them.

Finally, we closed out the night with an older kids’ devotional. We had it under a new pavilion they had built at the top of camp on the soccer/softball fields. While normally, I would want to not have a roof over my head at night up there in order to see the thousands of stars that span your view, last night was cloudy, so I was game. Turns out, not only was it cloudy, but the camp was surrounded by heat lightning strikes in the distance. It was pretty amazing to have praise time with a constant lightning show going on all around. Aside from the fact that the shelter basically served as a sauna (or perhaps one of those heat boxes you see on movies like Cool Hand Luke) in the 95 degree heat at 10:30 at night, it was a pretty awesome devo. Another day down…

Primer for tomorrow: Blue Ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment